08 March 2009

@weeklyblogpost - Dream Job

Here goes my @weeklyblogpost on dream jobs.  (I think I still owe a blog on education and I'm excited to see what the new blog for this week will be.)

Since I can't tell you exactly what I want to do, here's some of the things I'd like to see out of my dream job or, since I have diverse interests and abilities, dream jobs that I would weave together the way that actors now all have clothing lines and such.

-Be creative and entrepreneurial.

-Be able to work from home sometimes and/or be able to have my dog at my workplace with me.

-Have vacation time in the quantity that Europeans get it.  (I know that my two weeks vacation is pretty decent for America but everybody else in the Western world probably finds it justifiably laughable.)

-Have a flexible (non 9-5) work schedule.  This could look like writing from home with breaks for yoga classes and going to my (future) kids' games and recitals or working a number of weeks or months on a film or theatrical production and then having time off.  

Part of the problem is that it's hard to know what jobs exist.  It would be great if there were some system where you input your talents and interests and it listed all sorts of jobs that maybe you never heard of but would love to have.  This doesn't exist at the moment and the one test like this I took in high school included mortician and grain elevator operator in things I might like.  I've seen Cosmo quizzes that were more relevant.  One thing that definitely appeals to me is movie producer because it involves a creative industry and would be served by my joy of networking and bringing people together on a team.  I don't think it's an exact fit or, if it's something I did that I'd do exclusively but it's something I'm considering and would probably fill a lot of my criteria.


blog comments powered by Disqus