10 December 2009

Rafe on the importance of queer bookstores in his life

I met my Friend Rafe through Twitter and appropriate to our queer/nerd bond, first met him in person at Giovanni's Room.  When I first heard that they were in need of fund raising events I had no idea that a hopefull tweet about Kate Bornstein doing a reading for them would not only be read by her, but that plans would start being laid that same day.  It was several months later that Rafe and I connected in person at her reading there.  

He recently wrote a great blog about the importance of queer bookstores, and I'm hoping he'll later guest blog here with some other fantastic folks about their favorite LGBTQ reading materials.  Here's what he had to say:

Sometimes the queer bookstores are the only place a kid can go and find a book about other people who are the same kind of freak and weirdo. The same kind of queer. Sometimes a person struggles to find community, and can’t, but at least there are books. I was not a very good lesbian, ever, but I was damn glad to have Rubyfruit Jungle and The Revolution of Little Girls, People Like Us, and the ever-invaluable Dykes to Watch Out For series. Without being able to go to the queer bookstores in Denver, Albuquerque, and, yes, Washington DC during my late teens and early 20s, I don’t know what I would have done. And now, trying to find trans references… Yeah.  So help your independent stores.

Read the rest of the blog here.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, friend. Sad that Lamda Rising in DC is closing. I don't really buy their "we did our job, see? mainstream bookstores are carrying queer books" thing. They certainly have a right to retire, and the economy isn't doing them any favors. Still sad, though. I'll miss being able to stop in my local lgtb bookshop to browse. True, Amazon has or can get just about anything, but it's just not the same as picking up a real, old-fashioned book & flipping through it.

    does this mean i'm getting old? i'll *never* use a kindle.

    love to you from d.c.,
    ~slave matt

    ReplyDelete